May 27, 2017
"Passing it on"
See May Events for Schedule.
Retreat to Weippe Walk/Run Registration
Food Vendor Application: Application Link
Food Vender Application: Facebook us for current information.
Deyo Reservoir & Campground Opens May 12th
Reservations for Campsite can be made at 208-435-4406
The F&G Fishing Trailer will be on site May 13 & May 27.
Anyone who signs-up at the trailer does not need a fishing license to fish at the event.
Before and after the event, a fishing license is required for anyone 14 years and older.
Fishing equipment can be checked out for free on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more information visit: FISH TRAILER
In earlier days the Weippe area was frequented by the Nez Perce Indians, who enjoyed the summer climate and profitable hunting grounds. They erected lodges, fished, hunted and dug the camas root in the surrounding area. In 1805, Lewis and Clark had their first encounter with the Nez Perce Indians on the Weippe Prairie, not far from the present townsite.
The word Weippe was originally spelled “Oy-ipe” by General Oliver Otis Howard, in his journals during the campaign against the Nez Perce and negotiations with Chief Joseph in 1877. Other spellings included Oy-iap and Wyap-p. Harry Wheeler, Nez Perce historian, believed that Weippe means a "very old place," "oy" means "all" in the Nez Perce language, but no meaning has been found for "iap". The Nez Perce also say it may have something to do with a spring of water or camas ground. The meaning of the name is still greatly debated.
Soon after the Corps of Discovery’s expedition through the region, the fur trading industry came to Idaho. Then gold was discovered in 1860 by E.D. Pierce bringing a rush to the area in 1861. The Homestead Act brought many families to the region and Weippe grew and thrived.
Weippe was incorporated in December of 1964 and is located on the Gold Rush Historic Byway, Idaho Highway 11. The Weippe Prairie is one of eight registered national landmarks in the State of Idaho and is part of the National Lewis & Clark Historic Trail. It is a level meadow fringed by forest, and through it runs Jim Ford’s Creek, named after a pioneer wood dealer from Lewiston.
Come visit our Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center at the Weippe Discovery Center. Our newly constructed Deyo Reservoir and camground is awaiting with both primitive and water/sewer hookups. See Tourism link for more info.
Also visit our neighboring city-Pierce at pierce-weippechamber.com.